Our hearts go out to Mary’s family. This should not happen to anyone:
From the Beacon Journal
When Mary Pashley, a 75-year-old resident of Coventry Township, went into The Cleveland Clinic for open heart surgery in September, she thought she knew the risks.
But doctors had never brought up one of the biggest dangers — infection acquired during hospital stays.
And less than three months after surgery to repair a deteriorating heart, Pashley was dead.
The culprit was a bloodstream infection from a bacterium called methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). It’s one of the most problematic infections to fight because the bacterium is resistant to many drugs.
Pashley, a former realtor and performer for water-ski shows, underwent surgery at The Cleveland Clinic on Sept. 27. She had been anticipating a 10-day hospital stay. Eight days later, she went into septic shock from MRSA.
For the rest of her life, in the Clinic and in rehab facilities, she battled the infection. When she died on Dec. 14, after suffering several strokes, her death certificate listed sepsis as the cause.